Author Topic: Mail Boy  (Read 11390 times)

Shane Ward

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mail Boy
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »
Mail Boy
Local Heroes Anthology

Name: - Mail Boy
Anthology: - Local Heroes
Author: - Shane Ward
Genre: - War/Adventure
Word Count: - 4,839
Word Anthology Count: - 60,000
Direct Link: - http://www.pillhillpress.com

Below you will find the links necessary to order this book. Please note that I do not receive any royalties or payment for this story being in this anthology. If you like the work I have done you are welcome to leave a donation below, thank you.
Amazon, USA:
Amazon, UK:
$14.99
£11.99
Buy
Buy

Abstract of Story: -
Hellfire continued to roar overhead as John made his way to the disease-ridden pit. His army clothes stuck to his skin like a plastic bag and the smell of piss, shit and blood was all over him. He could not get rid of the odor, no matter how hard he tried.

His mission was to deliver critical news and commands that failed to get across by radio. The trench commander had lost his communication device when the rainwater seeped into the underground bunker and fused the whole unit.

John slipped passed the uniformed men who were guarding the commander’s underground bunker and covered his nose as he soon discovered that the cocktail of crap and putrefied flesh was worse inside than out.

“Come in, my boy!” a man exclaimed with a hearty tone that was just as earth shattering as the boots on the end of his feet. “Don’t worry about the smell, you'll get used to it.”

The general placed his beefy hand over his mug of tea and smiled. “You’d better cover your ears kid.”

“Why?” asked John. The young man had a message from base and this was not the time to play games.

However, John soon realized that the screeching sound he was hearing was a motor shell about to hit. With only seconds to spare, he placed his gloved hands over his ears and fell over as the place shook violently, releasing rubble and soil that protected the people inside.

As the struggling oil lamps kept the darkness away and the chaos finally subsided, bewildered John picked himself up off the ground and patted down his military uniform.

“Damn Germans, why do they have to shell us while I’m having my tea? What’s the matter with them?” the commander said, then stared at John who continued to fidget with his uniform. “Mail boy, don’t bother with your uniform, you’ll be dead soon. Or do you want to look pretty for the girls up there?” He gestured towards the heavens with his right hand.

The general picked up his metal mug and gulped down the contents only to spit it out all over John’s uniform.

“Damn it, the dirt got into my tea. Ross, get me another one.” He tossed the mug over to his second in command after he tipped the liquid onto the drenched floor. The rain pounded outside and streams of water began to fill up the command bunker.

The general jumped towards the door and shouted, “Get those foot pumps working now, I don’t want the fucking rainwater flooding my base!”

The heavy handed general turned into the bunker and stared at John. “So? Do you have any messages? My radio has crapped on me and the top brass would not have sent you if there wasn’t anything important.”

“Y-yes sir,” John said. “They regret to inform you that they can’t send any front men to the lines.”

The general strolled into the center of his bunker, turned steadily and then replied, “Are you horsing around with me, boy? What do you mean they can’t send any more men?”

Authors Included: -
Introduction by Brandon L. Rucker
Virtual Memory by Robert C. Eccles
Football and Faith by Kevin Wallis
In the Eyes of the Beholder by Twana Biram
Into the Fire by John Arthur Miller
Passing the Days by Michael C. Pennington
Kakashi by Dave Fragments
Mail Boy by Shane Ward
Don't Jump by Tara Barnett
Lucky by A.A. Garrison
A Soldier's Brother by Leah Pugh